From:
Laurie Sefton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Sefton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:51:37 -0800
re: Doug Woog helping out financially after McAlpine's eligibility had expired

>If it is true, that Woog made the payment after McAlpine had used up all
>of his eligibility then I would see nothing wrong with it.  It would
>almost be as if Woog had helped anyone of his friends out in this
>situation.
>

>Siren Chudgar

Unfortunately, I believe that the way the NCAA is going to express is:

"Prove that you didn't have this agreement beforehand. If you can't provide
proof, then we are going to assume otherwise, and punish you accordingly"

As far as I can tell, the NCAA doesn't want to operate on the assumption of
innocence until proven otherwise (not that they have to, but one might
think that they would try to reflect some of the better qualities of the
judicial system in the US) and if they've decided to start pounding on
Minnesota, well, there isn't much short of a class action suit by the
universities who feel that they have been wronged by the "stewardship" of
the NCAA to stop this ugly business.

Laurie

"All the best defencemen have goalie eyes."