From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 1996 01:08:23 -0400
http://www.ncaa.org/news/960701/active/3326N06.html

The above article from the July 1st issue of the NCAA News deals with Title
IX and has possible implications for some hockey-playing schools.  The
entire article can be read by following the above URL, but here are some
extracts that I found interesting.

> Title IX Ticker -- OCR: Benefits to teams more important than dollars spent
>
> Benefits received by comparable men's and women's teams -- not the dollar
>value of those benefits -- are important in determining whether programs are
>equivalent, a representative of the Office for Civil Rights said recently.
>
> "It is not the amount of the funding. Teams of similar sports, like sports,
>however you want to refer to them, do not have to receive equivalent
>dollars,"
>said Beth Downs, a civil rights investigator at OCR, during an NCAA-sponsored
>seminar on Title IX earlier this year in Boston.
>A seminar participant asked about a donation to the hypothetical program's
>men's soccer team. A donor gave $5,000 for men's soccer. Does the university
>need to spend $5,000 on women's soccer to be in compliance with Title IX
>regulations?
>
>"It's the benefit that those dollars buy that needs to be equivalent," Downs
>replied. "You need to make sure at least one other women's team has similar
>benefits to this men's soccer team despite the amount of that funding."
>Another question concerned a situation in which the men's and women's
>basketball teams play back-to-back, with the women playing at 6 p.m. and the
>men's team playing at 8 p.m. Should the institution have the men's and
>women's
>teams alternate playing times?
>
>Because the later time often is considered the prime time, a women's team
>should have the opportunity to play during the later time slot, Downs said.
>
>"If no other women's sport received prime-time game times, I think that --
>although this might not be a significant violation or a significant enough
>disparity to be a violation and send the school to enforcement -- it is one
>disparity that would be thrown in the pot with the rest of them if there were
>any, and considered toward a violation finding," she said.
>
>"Just so everyone is clear, there is a difference between each component when
>we look to see if there are disparities. Some of them are significant enough
>that there would be a violation, but usually we look at the overall program,
>assess all the disparities and then determine if we think the school is in
>violation overall with Title IX and the athletics regulations.
>
>"So this would be one disparity if no other women's team received such a
>benefit."
>One participant asked about a Division III institution that sponsors one
>men's
>program in Division I: Is a Division I women's program also required?
>
>OCR would analyze the percentages of females that compete by divisions and
>whether they are above or below the norm, Downs said. It is likely that the
>institution would have a disparity.
>
>--Compiled by Sally Huggins

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93