From:
Phil Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 21:08:06 -0400
>OK, and what's in it for the US Army to become a sponsor for the Hobey
>Baker Award ?  We (you and I taxpayers) certainly won't make money off it,
>and it can't be solely because the legendary Mr. Baker was in the Army.

        first the army (and all the military services) sponsor events like
this to self promote to the crowd they most want to recruit.  this has
especially been a trend in the last two-three years as they sponsor tv shows
on fox and elsewhere.
        as for anaheim.  although the majority of competition and everything
else resides in the great northeast we must step out into the mainstream.
anaheim might be that step.  hockey is in the limelight now thanks to fox tv
and the strikes in the other major league sports.  now is the time for
college hockey to ride the wave of nhl interest into the mainstream of
american college sports.