From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:26:22 -0600
Two articles from Monday's (6/24/96) Minn Daily.  The first is about Erik
Rasmussen being drafted.  The second, "U gets $7 million to build arena" is
about the plans for the new arena for women's hockey (which may also serve
as an alternate practice facility for the men's team, it sounds like.)

Also Tom Powers' column in yesterday's St. Paul Pioneer Press was kind of
cute.  It was entitled "Rasmussens' wallet, options remain open".  It told
of how Mr. Rasmussen had to be sure to reimburse the Sabres for every
draftee perk so as to maintain his son's eligibility (over $400 for the
jersey and cap and other trinkets, plus paying their own way to St. Louis
for draft day.)  So, as the title says, his options remain open;  no
NC$$-eligibility bridges have been burned yet...

-Pam

U star 7th pick in NHL draft

Nick Doty - For The Daily

Related Links: Buffalo Sabres

Gophers hockey player Erik Rasmussen traveled to St. Louis for
Saturday's NHL draft knowing he would be among the top 10 overall
picks.

There wasn't much pressure on the 6-foot-2-inch, 191-pound forward because
he was considered a top prospect for the NHL by Central Scouting.

Still, Rasmussen was drained and asleep late Sunday afternoon after feeling
the emotional effects of being selected seventh overall in the draft by the
Buffalo Sabres. He was the first U.S. player chosen.

"It feels great and it's a big honor (to be the first American drafted),"
Rasmussen said. "But I'm just glad I was drafted. I'm a little tired, so I
guess I haven't realized what this all means yet."

Rasmussen enjoyed an impressive rookie year for the Gophers last season. He
was third on the team in scoring behind Hobey Baker Award winner Brian
Bonin and All-American Mike Crowley. He was named to the WCHA All-Rookie
team after posting 16 goals and 32 assists for 48 total points.

"He's amazing to watch, and it doesn't surprise me to see him go so high,"
Crowley said. "He's very deserving of the pick."

Rasmussen's parents also attended the draft with their son and expressed
much of his joy.

"It's an outstanding feeling. No one can predict when these kids are
growing up," Erik's father Don Rasmussen said. "Every parent wants their
kid to make it to the pros."

Don said he began to feel Erik could make the NHL after watching his
progress during his senior year of high school. Erik's father was evidently
not the only one impressed with his son's ability that year.

Erik's credentials at St. Louis Park High School earned him Minnesota "Mr.
Hockey" honors in 1995. He was also voted a high school All-American after
his senior campaign.

His good size and statistics could have landed him in the NHL right out of
high school, but he chose to accept a scholarship offer from the Gophers.
In doing so, Rasmussen followed the footsteps of his uncle, Dale Rasmussen,
who played hockey for the Gophers from 1960-61.

Although it's probable Rasmussen will be offered anywhere from $500,000 to
$750,000 to sign with the Sabres, he said he doesn't know at this point
whether he'll turn professional. He said his decision depends on whatever
Buffalo has planned for him.

"I'm open to any decision right now," Rasmussen said. "I'm just going to
continue working with the Gophers and see what happens."

Buffalo decided to give Rasmussen two to three weeks off before starting
contract negotiations.

Crowley, a junior defenseman, said Rasmussen's decision will have a
significant impact on the team. "He brings a lot to the team, and if we
lost him, there would be some big shoes to fill," Crowley said.

Crowley has also been entertained by NHL offers but said his professional
plans do not depend on Rasmussen's decision. "For me, if he signs, it
wouldn't matter," Crowley said. "But I want him to stay."

Crowley was drafted by the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers in the sixth round of
the 1994 draft and his rights were later traded to the Anaheim Mighty
Ducks. There has been speculation that Crowley might forgo his final two
seasons of college eligibility.

Crowley said he plans to come back for his junior year and possibly his
senior year, depending on future circumstances. He said he would listen to
any offers made by the Mighty Ducks.

"Everything would have to be right and so it all depends on the timing of
the situation," Crowley said.

Gophers hockey coach Doug Woog could not be reached for comment.

Two other Gophers sophomores were selected in Saturday's draft. Reggie Berg
was taken in the seventh round by Toronto (178th overall). Mike Anderson
was chosen two picks later by the Washington Capitals (180th overall). Berg
and Anderson are both expected to return to the Gophers.
--------------------------------
U gets $7 million to build arena

Matthew Cross - Staff Reporter

In about two years, Mariucci Arena will have a brand new baby sister
sitting just west of it. The facility will be home to women's ice hockey
and men's and women's tennis.

The arena is not even in the blueprint stage yet, but the men's and women's
athletics departments are hoping to solidify a plan soon and begin building
the facility during the next construction season.

Women's athletics director Chris Voelz said the current plan is to have an
average rink in terms of size and aesthetic appeal.

"We want a capacity for a good crowd," Voelz said. "It doesn't have to be
spartan, but it doesn't have to be decadent either."

Last fall, the University asked for $10 million from the state to build a
new facility to house women's ice hockey as part of the Amateur Sports
Commission's annual legislative bill. The commission placed the
University's request under consideration with the budget request of the
Mighty Ducks organization, which was already part of the commission's bill.

Voelz said the University is simply a lucky beneficiary of the Mighty
Ducks' plan to support women's ice hockey in Minnesota.

Through the ASC, which is the same vehicle the University used to build the
Aquatic Center and Bierman Track and Field Stadium, the University was
given $7 million.

Vice President for Student Development and Athletics McKinley Boston's
strong working relationship with Gov. Arne Carlson proved helpful in
getting the money. However, the new facility is projected to cost between
$12 and $15 million, which means the men 's and women's athletics
departments will have to raise as much as $8 million to complete the
project.

Men's athletics director Mark Dienhart, who has fund-raising experience
which includes the planning to build Mariucci and the renovation of
Williams Arena, said the University should not have a problem finding
donors.

He said the money will come from private investors and will have nothing to
do with the current University budget.

"It's important to note that this didn't replace anything on the
University's docket," Dienhart said. "The money came through to us because
of a particular sport, not a particular institution.

"The state has given significant dollars over the last two (legislative)
sessions to promote women's ice hockey. They've taken the initiative to
provide a boost to gender equity."

The new rink will be a positive investment for both athletics departments
in many ways, Voelz and Dienhart said. They said the arena will provide for
the following:

Support of women's athletics

The primary goal of the new arena will be to generate money and increase
support for the women's athletics department -- particularly in women's
hockey.

The Mighty Ducks are an organization working to "continue the philosophy
that there is something special about hockey in Minnesota," Dienhart said.
Its primary agenda is to support the growth of women's hockey.

Voelz said four years ago there were only 10 women's hockey teams in
Minnesota. Now, there are 62, and by the time the new arena is built, there
will be about 100.

The popularity of women's hockey means ice time is at a premium and the
University plans to capitalize on that by renting the facility to high
school teams, giving the women's athletics department some publicity.

Help men's hockey team

The Gophers men's hockey team has an Olympic size ice sheet (200 feet by
100 feet) at Mariucci and gears its style of play to the open qualities of
its rink.

In college hockey, the size of the ice sheet is not standard and home rinks
of WCHA teams like North Dakota and Northern Michigan have smaller
(200-by-85) rinks. Minnesota typically has a tough time playing well in the
smaller rinks.

For instance, the Gophers are 4-11-7 at Northern Michigan, North Dakota and
Colorado College over the last four years. In each of those years,
Minnesota had teams good enough to advance to at least the NCAA Regional
Finals and twice to the NCAA final fou r.

The new rink, which will be a smaller size, can be used by the men's team
to practice when it is preparing to play an opponent at a smaller rink.

Gophers assistant coach Mike Guentzel said that will provide an invaluable
advantage for Minnesota.

"It's going to help us in our transition game a little bit, which has
affected us at times," Guentzel said. "We'll be able to concentrate our
game better."

Dienhart said the men's athletics department was concerned about Mariucci
continuing to be as good a facility as it can be. He said the new rink will
allow Mariucci to keep pace with the top college hockey arenas.

"This is a biased opinion, but we maybe have the best college competition
facility in the country," Dienhart said. "Mariucci has to be as good as it
is and this will ensure it can stay that way."

Recruiting

Without a coach and without a team, recruiting players out of high school
for women's hockey is difficult right now.

Voelz has temporarily assumed the role of trying to attract players to the
University but has lost out to schools which have already built successful
programs.

For instance, Voelz talked with Minnesota phenom Winny Brodt, who was one
of the most sought-after women's hockey players in the country. Voelz was
able to offer Brodt everything the University had to give but could not
show a facility, a team, or a coach -- vital areas to a student athlete.

The new rink will give the University some leverage in attracting top
Minnesota players out of high school. It will also help the men's team in
recruiting.

Voelz said she is going to hire a coach in October and that person will be
expected to recruit all next year.

Even without a solid program, Voelz insists that Gophers women's hockey
will be an instant success.

"We are going to be good; and we're going to be good fast," she said.

Incentive to move forward

The new arena has also quickened planning in other areas concerning the
women's hockey team.

A task force will meet Thursday to discuss season tickets and
merchandising, among other things.

Notes: Dienhart said the renovation of Siebert Field, the Gophers baseball
team's home stadium, is still in the planning stages. He said the new
hockey rink has no bearing on that project and that the stadium will likely
remain as it is for a while.

"We still have to approach donors, but we are not in a position to announce
anything yet," Dienhart said. "But I am quite confident, given our
program's success in the past, that we will find sufficient interest to do
something significant to Siebert."

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!
Ski-U-Mah!!!