From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:55:30 -0400
There seems to be some confusion regarding U.B. and Buff St.
Some of this has been cleared up - here's more info:

1. U.B. - SUNY at Buffalo (University of Buffalo)
    - known as the Bulls (men)  Royals (women b-ball)
    - they used to have varsity hockey in the 60's, 70's and 80's
    - they dropped varsity hockey ( like Kent St.)
    - they have club hockey
    - they do NOT have a rink on campus
    - their athletics is now NCAA D-I  (football/basketball)
    - some community talk (rumors only) that people would like to
      see hockey make a "comeback" as varsity. IMHO - I don't see
      that happening soondue to too much money and gender equity.
    - football and basketball are there top #1 sports priority and
      are building "up" and getting into better conference play in
      D-I.
    - U.B. is considered by many as one of SUNY's "big 4 research
      university centers" in the system.

2. Buffalo State - SUNYAC at Buffalo (Buffalo State College)
    - known as the Bengals (not "bisons")
    - they currently have varsity hockey (SUNY NCAA III)
    - they have a rink on campus
    - completely seperate school from U.B.
    - ALL their sports are NCAA III
    - the athletic dept. is NCAA III
    - chances of going D-I (IMHO -slim to none, a drastic change)
    - school colors black/orange/white. (U.B. - blue/red/white)

For many non Buffalo people this could get confusing and I could
see how a writer from Ithaca would fail to distinguish the two
schools.  When you say SUNY Buffalo, what does that mean ????

Around here we distinguish by saying U.B. or Buffalo St.

U.B. has gone big time (as mentioned) already in football and
basketball and hopes to continue to build toward success in
D-I in those two sports and some others but unless a huge
donor steps forward and the school changes its philosophy
I don't believe hockey is in the plan for 2000.

Buffalo St. will stay D-III. just trust me on this.