From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1991 19:26:32 GMT
Boxes posted to this list come from one of the following sources:
1) newspapers (in Boston, the Herald and the Globe each have almost every
   Eastern DivI box)
2) people keeping track at the game/from tv or radio
3) official packet released after the game

#3 is where my Merrimack info comes from as well as many of the other games
I see.  That's why it has as much info as it does.  I know not everyone has
access to this, but I figure, I have it, why keep it a secret?

As you say, many people live in areas where boxes are unavailable through
the local press.  That's why I think the work done by people on this list
is so great.  We've reached a point where almost every DivI game has a
person from HOCKEY-L attending/watching it or at least with access to a box
or score.  I think this is remarkable.  My point of view is that I take a
little bit of time to tell people about the game(s) I see, but I also get
much more back in the form of all the info about the games I don't see.  So
I hope everyone keeps it up, I think we're all doing a great job.  Wayne,
something tells me the archives this year are going to be MUCH bigger than
either of the previous two years...and I bet we break the record for most
Kb of postings/month in November (for this list - ~1 Mb in March 1991).

I don't think any other college sports mailing list can boast of the level
of involvement that HOCKEY-L has, and because hockey is not a nationally
televised or covered sport like college football or basketball, HOCKEY-L's
value is that much greater.  The fact that a number of coaches, ADs, sports
information directors, players, etc. are directly on the list reflects the
opinion that even people directly involved with the game find HOCKEY-L to
be useful.  This is something we can all be proud of.

- mike