From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 14:44:16 -0500
Charlie Shub writes:
>Subject:      GT article (More down than up, Huskies are in doghouse)
>
> By Steve Page
[deleted]
> . . . . Merrimack had the country's longest
> Division I overtime unbeaten streak snapped at 18 games in a 5-4 loss
> Saturday to Massachusetts. Until then, the Warriors were 8-0-10 in sudden
> death.

Astute HOCKEY-L observers will note that this streak was brought to
public light for the first time anywhere right here on the list a few
weeks ago when I posted it, after doing the research to verify that it
was indeed the longest current in the nation.  At the time it was 17
games.  After that, I told Merrimack and HE about it, and it spread
from there, especially after a tie with Northeastern pushed it to 18
games.  I know NESN, the Boston Herald, and the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune
used it, and I think that Drop the Puck and USA Today did too.

Of course, if I had kept my mouth shut, they probably wouldn't have
lost that game to UMass. :-)  For three and a half years I don't say
anything, then I do and...

But the reason I point this out is: for those of you who are inclined
to track down things like this, and sometimes people here do that, it
can sometimes make a difference and help SIDs and PR people out.  No
one I told about the Merrimack streak had any idea about it, but once
they heard it, they thought it was a great note.  And it was, until
last Saturday...

Here is where things stand now.

LONGEST DIVISION I HOCKEY OVERTIME UNBEATEN STREAKS (11/09/95)

RK TEAM              GMS  RECORD  LAST OVERTIME LOSS
1  Maine              15  3-0-12  2/19/93 6-7 vs Boston University
2  Northern Michigan  12  3-0-9   11/30/91 4-5 at Colorado College

NOTES: All games are vs DivI teams.  No other DivI team has gone two
seasons without losing an overtime game (prior to 95-96).  Maine's
streak includes three ties that were later forfeited during 1993-94.
Maine's streak also includes two ties this season, 11/3-4/95, both vs
UNH.  NMU has not played any overtime games this season.

The alltime record in this category is unknown.

STREAKS ENDED THIS YEAR
TEAM              GMS  RECORD  LAST OVERTIME LOSS
Merrimack          18  8-0-10  2/22/92 5-6 vs Northeastern
 (Lost 5-4 to Mass Amherst at home, 11/04/95.)
Western Michigan   15  5-0-10  3/14/92 3-4 vs Miami (CCHA Qfinal)
 (Lost 5-4 to Providence at home, 10/28/95.)
Mike Machnik                 [log in to unmask]           [log in to unmask]
*****      Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page located at:        *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****