From:
Steve Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 1995 22:44:28 -0400
I maade the trip to union tonight to catch the team that I grew up watching
get frustrated by the skating Dutchmen of Union.  After I found the Union
campus and a place to park, which was no easy task, I made my way to the
rink.  To those of you familiar with bowdon's area this was very similar
except even colder.  I did not arrive in time to see the Union goal, but I
could see why they scored.  Maine had come out slow, while it seemed as
though Union, though I have never previously seen them play, was very fired
up.  They were all over maine, but Marsh was sharp.  It was obvious that
Maine was faster and stronger, but Union held them up and played scrappy,
which was obvious by the numerous penalties they took.  Maine's power play
was rather unorganized in the first and they had very few chances and those
they did were taken in stride by Union's sophomore goalie, Trevor Koenig.
 Koenig really impressed me with his mobility and speed.
        In the second  and third period Maine seemed as though coach Walsh
had lit a fire under them.  They came out skating and hitting like the team
that I am used to seeing.  After Union took two quick penalties as a result
of trying to slow Maine down,  Maine got the powerplay going as Shermerhorn
jammed in a loose puck in front of the net.  Two minutes later David Cullen
slapped one in from the point.  From where I was sitting it apeared as though
Barry Clukey may have gotten a stick on it, as the puck went rather slowly
into the net through Koenig's legs.  The next two gaols were scored on
wrap-arounds by Parmentier and Kariya respectivly with Kariya's being half
way through the third.
   Over all Maine played very well and were shut down by Koenig.  The final
shots were 52 to 34(?).  Marsh also played very well stopping three break
aways.  I would not be surprised if Union crawls out of the basement of the
ECAC this year and challenges for the top.  I am rather nervous about when it
come time for my RPI to play them.

--
Steve