From:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 13:36:25 -0400
Mike> [...]
Mike> It seems to me that most referees are predisposed towards being
Mike> lenient on the DQs - you've really got to earn it.  I'd rather
Mike> have it be this way unless fighting becomes a major problem.

I completely agree and I don't think the new rule change will change
the way DQs are assessed.  When I referee a game and a player throws a
weak punch, which is technically a fighting penalty, I'll hand out a
minor or double-minor for roughing.  Of course if he drops his gloves
and comes up swinging, that is a different situation.

Mike> However, we do need to draw a distinction between fighting or
Mike> goon hockey, and good old-fashioned physical play ("Toe
Mike> Blake...Eddie Shore") along with intimidation.  The latter does
Mike> indeed have a place in the game by the very nature of it.  If
Mike> you don't believe me, watch any game.

As I said previously, I'm all for physical play.  A good hard check
will still get the fans involved and intimidate opponents.  I just
don't like to have the game delayed while two players duke it out on
the ice.  I do enjoy watching a player deliver a great hip check --
which is extremely difficult to accomplish -- that leaves the other
sprawled out on the ice.

I realize that tough automatic sanctions may result in the officials
calling less fighting penalties and more double-minors.  One of the
leagues I ref automatically suspends a player for 2 games for his
first and 1 year for his second game misconduct in a 12-month
period.  Until this year, we were *required* to hand out a game
misconduct with *every* major penalty.  The result was less majors
called.

I think that the new WCHA rules, however, will cut down on the brawls
on ice which will still be called as fighting majors.  I believe that
this a good-thing(tm).  I don't think it will drastically change the
face of hockey.

Pete Kester