From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 01:19:53 -0100
At 1:25 PM 9/18/95, Jason B. Cote wrote:
>        During the 1989-90 season UVM made what is largely regarded as
>the greatest comeback in college hockey history.  Trailing Princeton in
>the third period, UVM proceeded to rattle of a string of goals to come
>from behind and win in regulation.  How many goals did the Cats score?

This is an interesting topic that I don't think has been raised here
before...I'm sure everyone has their own favorite "greatest comeback", but
I'll put mine up against any of them:

1988 NCAA First Round total goals series, Merrimack at Northeastern.  HE
champion Northeastern won the first game 5-3 and scored the first 3 goals
the next night to take an 8-3 lead in the series late in the second period.
Merrimack then rattled off the game's final seven goals for a stunning
10-8 upset win in the series - on the road, at the HE champion, and facing
the stigma of being the first ever Independent awarded a bid to the
tourney.  Many people thought Merrimack did not deserve to be in the
tourney, and until those 26 minutes that will forever live in infamy, they
seemed to be right on the money.

I'm not sure if I would necessarily call it my "favorite" comeback, though,
since I was on the Northeastern side that year...and every year I am
dutifully reminded of that fact several times by longtime Merrimack folks!

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****