From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 10:03:00 EST
Jeff (and other Hockey-Lers still following this thread, I'll
move it off the list following this post)...

Thanks for the response.

RE: Yost in the late 1980s
Michigan is king to fair weather fans.  When the team didn't win,
no one showed up for the games.  It was very frustrating to hear
"GO GREEN! GO WHITE!" bounce around Yost and know that
there was nothing you could do.  If the Michigan fans tried to
make noise, the State fans could drown them out.  (Before I
alienate any of the veterans, I should say that the hardcore
Michigan hockey fans were there through the 1970s and 1980s.
The success of the 1990s has to be especially sweet for them.)

RE: The media
Agreed.  The media is VERY pro-Michigan...for everything
but hockey.  When it comes to hockey, Michigan State is still
the beloved.  Recently, I think Lake Superior has been the
biggest Detroit area media darlings.

RE: The non-affiliated fan
Yep, love the blue, hate the green.  I wonder if Michigan and
Michigan State swapped colors (what a terrible thought!) for a
decade or so, would the next generation grow up to be MSU
fans?

RE: Not cheering for each other
I certainly can see the MSU perspective here.  If you eliminate
99% of the athletic world and concentrate solely on college
hockey, Michigan deserves more recognition outside of Ann
Arbor.  Throw that 99% back in and MSU has every right to
feel neglected.  In a good example of what you were saying,
I laughed my butt off when Central Michigan defeated MSU in
football two years in a row.  (Not being dependent on the Rating
Percentage Index, MSU non-conference losses have almost no
effect on Michigan's national standing.)  And, I love seeing the
Spartans get dropped in the CCHA.  (The recent Miami "scalping"
sweep at Munn put a BIG smile on my face.)  Outside of the
CCHA, I want State to win.  I wish the CCHA dominated in non-
conference play (which they don't).  Michigan, Michigan State,
Lake Superior and Bowling Green would be a beautiful NCAA
phinal phour!  (Only Wisconsin ruined the party in 1992.)

John H
U Mich