From:
Steve Czuba <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 16:34:35 -0600
With regards to the low TV ratings:

I really want to 'blame' the low ratings on the fact that the games were covered
by WABU Channel 68. Which is not to say they had bad coverage; as a matter of
fact I am a big fan of Dale Arnold and thought he and Eruzione did an excellent
job. Anyway, before I read this past summer on this list about channel 68
getting the Beanpot, I had never even heard of the station. I've had 4 different
Cable networks in the past 9 years since I've lived in Mass. and either I didn't
receive it or wasn't aware that I did.

That being the case, I went to the games and taped the broadcast via a crummy
UHF hookup so I could watch the replays, snow and all. (did the puck go in ?? ..
No that was Mike Grier, no wait.. it was a commercial)

I'm pretty sure the 'average' fan expected either NESN or 38 to cover the game,
and tuned in to find out that it wasn't. The only warning people might have seen
was a little blurb in the Globe sports section announcing the game. Advertising
or awareness of WABU must increase for it to keep the Beanpot IMO. Also IMO, it
was a bad move for the Beanpot and I said that back in September.

Also, with regards to no one caring about the Beanpot except those with an
affiliation with one of the four schools, I for one have none and look forward
to the games immensely. Granted I am a college hockey fan living within 25 miles
of the tourney, but up until this year, I'd say that the Beanpot consistantly
produced some of the most exciting games I've seen over the last 9 years. This
on top of the fact the ECAC is my favorite league and I tend to root against HE
teams in general. But even if it was an all-HE tourney, I still would enjoy.

On an interesting sidenote, I was listening to WEEI during the NU-Harvard game
and was listening to the rantings of Ted Sarandis(sp) on 'Why doesn't a Bruin
fan like college hockey'. That drew some interesting if not idiotic responses
the most profound of which 'Because B's fans are used to watching the Best' And
that wasn't from a fan, but from some guest they had on trying to promote the
Beanpot. Brilliant.

Enough. Here's to either getting 68, ESPN2 on my cable or the Beanpot going back
to 38 by next year.

steve
RPI 86

PS It was also a huge dissapointment to not have the consolation game shown on
TV. Another mistake IMO.