From:
"John W. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John W. Davis
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 16:49:42 EST
For the number of hockey games that I've been to, it's
suprising how few different rinks I've been to.

Mostly, it's been the Great Dane (WI).  IMHOit's not
a great palce to watch hockey.  If your too close to ice
(but not on the glass) you miss action along the boards,\
especially in the far corner.  On the other, if you're in
the second deck (but not near the top row) the view of the
game is excellent.

With the reconfig. of the ice, the UW band was moved upstairs.
Their normal spot was right in front of the students section.
This made for a very loud and rowdy crowd!

The atmosphere is difficult for opposing teams.  If a goalie
looks shaking early on the crowd gets on his case and doesn't
let up.  I've seen a few games turn into a blow out because of
this.  Also, the fans rarely boo the home team (I was told last
week-end was the exception).

On a non-hockey related issue-the Great Dane does have the Beer
Garden (scene of a much storied fight involving some UW and UND
players).

I've seen a number of games at the St. Paul Civic Center.  Having
been stuck in the upper deck everytime I've went there, I could only
speculate the lower seats are much like at the Great Dane.  Plus
the see-through boards are pretty weird!

I never made it to the old Marriucci (SP?) and I wish regret it, but
I hope to make it to the new one (jwilson are you reading this-
future road trip).

Although I never actually saw a game at the rink in St. Cloud,
I did go in it when I visited a friend the year it opened up.
Looks very nice.

A couple of years ago I went to the west regionals (and saw
Bucky lose in OT to MI in the regional finals-BOO).  Joe Louis
Arena reminded me alot of the St. Paul Civic Center (except a
little bigger).  Also, the crowd was very sparse (considering
Ann Arbor is only a little bit away from Detroit).  Most seats looked
liked good seats.

And now on to the best hockey arena in the Nation (I've heard this
from numerous people).  The Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI.  This
place was built for hockey and hockey only.  Nevermind that the
Yucks (oops-Bucks) and Marquette play BBall there.  Man what
an atmosphere and not a bad seat in the house.  I was at the 1993
Phinal PHour.  Our seats were in the upper deck about four rows
from the top in the corner and I still saw the shot that
went off the post in the final minute of the game (I forget
which LSSU player fired it).  When WI plays the place is packed
and covered in RED.  At the 1991 Badger Showdown, WI beat
then number 1 Maine 3-2 or 4-3 (I forget) and the crowd
was LOUD!  18,500 maniacs can be quite intimidating!!!!
Opposing coaches love this place so much that UMD gave up
a home date to play WI in a regular season game there next
FEB.  And to top it off, the drinks flow freely (but far from
free) and the food is awesome, for those attending the Showdown
in a few weeks check out the stand that sells the mexican
food.  WOW!  Try the nachos supreme and the jalopena poppers!

later

jd

ON WISCONSIN!