From:
Steve Kapetanakis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 09:08:01 -0500
Deron Treadwell wrote:

>I say that as long as it is limited to a select few, sure go for it.  In the
>case in which this was brought up (Jim Montgomery's number 19 to the
>rafters) I believe it is well deserved.  UMaine only has one retired number
>thus far, Scott Pellerin's, and undoubtably will add one more, Paul Kariya.
>You can't go around having every good player's number retired, but in this
>case I support it.  Jim deserves this.

Retire Paul Kariya's #9?  I say no way.  Granted he was a great player, but
he only played a little over one season at UMaine (and what a season it was).
But retiring a players number is to honor that players career.  If one were
to reflect on the "career" of Paul Kariya at UMaine, and compare his career
numbers to those of Montgomery and Pellerin, there really isn't much of a
comparison.

-kap
NU '92