From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 00:35:44 -0500
In reference to Sean Pickett's post about should we recognize student
atheletes by retiring their jerseys and he also mentions academic honors.

I say that as long as it is limited to a select few, sure go for it.  In the
case in which this was brought up (Jim Montgomery's number 19 to the
rafters) I believe it is well deserved.  UMaine only has one retired number
thus far, Scott Pellerin's, and undoubtably will add one more, Paul Kariya.
You can't go around having every good player's number retired, but in this
case I support it.  Jim deserves this.

As far as academic honors, that depends what is being talked about.  If we
are talking about student athletes, then there should be a way to recognize
them, but if we are talking about general student performances, that is a
different story, and this is not the place to debate that.
DERON TREADWELL - [log in to unmask] |
The Hockey Bears are back in '94! 6-0-3    |
               GO UMAINE!!!                |