From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 12:35:00 PST
I've seen several posts regarding the absence of Lake Superior goaltender
Blaine Lacher from the All-CCHA team, including one purporting it a
"miscarriage of justice".  I too selected Lacher as my First Team
goaltender, but I indicated that it was a toss-up between he, Buzak and
Shields.  To me, the surprise was Miami's Richard Shulmistra slipping in
ahead of him and the margin between Shields/Buzak and the rest of the pack.

As for the posts, G.M. Finniss at Michigan State addressed most of the
issues [thank you, thank you].  I want to reiterate two and add some further
comments.

As G.M. mentioned, the All-CCHA team is NOT a poll, but is voted on by the
conference's 11 head coaches.  A coach cannot vote for his own players, so
each player can be named on a maximum of 10 ballots.

Also, as G.M. mentioned, the argument that Shields and/or Buzak have better
defenses in front of them is not a very solid one.  I'd go as far as calling
it ridiculous.  Michigan had a great group of defenseman last season
including four that have played in the NHL this year -- David Harlock,
Patrick Neaton, Chris Tamer and Aaron Ward -- but the Wolverines were VERY
inexperienced on D in 1993-94.  Michigan's defensemen have played well, and
I'm really beginning to love them, but they are not as strong as the Laker
defense.  Neither is Michigan State.  Beyond talent and experience, LSSU
arguably plays a much more defensive style of game than Michigan and many
other teams.

As for Lacher's recent streak, remember that his last two shutouts have been
in the post-season and have no bearing on the All-CCHA selections.  His one
goal against in four games to end the regular season blew away what was a
very close race for the lead in both goals against average and save
percentage.

Lastly, it should be noted that the CCHA names six honorable mention players
with no requirements on the position distribution.  The six players
receiving the most total points in the voting that didn't make the first or
second team are given HM.  Since Shields and Buzak dominated the voting this
season, no other goalie had enough points to be named honorable mention.  In
past years where the voting was closer I've seen two goalies named to the HM
team.

The All-CCHA voting totals are included below.

                     1993-94 ALL-CCHA VOTING

     FORWARDS                           1ST  2ND  3RD  PTS
  1  David Oliver, Michigan             10    0    0   100
  2  Brian Wiseman, Michigan             9    1    0    95
  3  Anson Carter, Michigan State        5    4    1    72
  4  Steve Guolla, Michigan State        3    6    1    62
  5  Mike Knuble, Michigan               3    6    0    60
  6  Clayton Beddoes, Lake Superior      2    4    2    44
  7  Rem Murray, Michigan State          1    2    3    26 *
  8  Tim Christian, Ferris State         0    3    2    19 *
  9  Colin Ward, Western Michigan        0    2    4    18 *
 10  Claude Morin, Kent                  0    1    6    17 *
 11  Brian Holzinger, Bowling Green      0    2    3    16 *
 12  Chris Brooks, Western Michigan      0    1    2     9
     Sean Tallaire, Lake Superior        0    1    2     9
 14  Kurt Miller, Lake Superior          0    0    3     6
 15  Jamal Mayers, Western Michigan      0    0    2     4
 16  Doug Smith, Ferris State            0    0    1     2
     Dean Sylvester, Kent                0    0    1     2

     DEFENSEMEN                         1ST  2ND  3RD  PTS
  1  John Gruden, Ferris State           9    1    0    95
  2  Jeff Wells, Bowling Green           7    3    0    85
  3  Bobby Marshall, Miami               2    5    1    47
  4  Keith Aldridge, Lake Superior       2    4    3    46
  5  Steven Barnes, Lake Superior        1    4    3    36
  6  Steven Halko, Michigan              1    3    2    29
  7  Brent Brekke, Western Michigan      0    2    7    24
  8  Matt Osiecki, Notre Dame            0    0    5    10
  9  Quinn Fair, Kent                    0    0    1     2

     GOALTENDERS                        1ST  2ND  3RD  PTS
  1  Steve Shields, Michigan             7    3    0    85
  2  Mike Buzak, Michigan State          4    5    1    67
  3  Richard Shulmistra, Miami           0    1    4    13
  4  Craig Brown, Western Michigan       0    1    1     7
     Blaine Lacher, Lake Superior        0    1    1     7
  5  Bob Petrie, Bowling Green           0    0    2     4
  6  Tom Askey, Ohio State               0    0    1     2
     Craig Lisko, Ferris State           0    0    1     2

  *  Total points and first place votes are correct.  There are
     several possible permutations among the group as to the
     individual number of second and third place votes.

  John H
  U Mich

P.S. Maybe Lacher is caught in the same trap Shields was a couple of seasons
ago.  "He's not REALLY that good, he just has a great team in front of him."
 In 1991-92, Michigan won the regular season and Shields dominated the
statistical categories.  Then he finished seventh in the All-CCHA voting.