Sender:
From:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1993 10:36:41 EDT
Comments:
Converted from PROFS to RFC822 format by PUMP V2.2X
The post wondering how Plattsburgh State would do against Merrimack
or the new UMass program got me thinking. When there was discussion
about expanding the tournament to more teams, the rationale for not
doing this was the small number of Div.I schools with hockey programs.
Maybe some folks out there who understand the fine points of what
a particular division is could explain further, but it seems to me
that Plattsburgh State, RIT, Babson, Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and
some of the better Div.III programs are as close to our Phinal Phour
as the patsies the hoopsters set up in their first round. Are there
formal barriers against that sort of multi-division tournament? How
well have any of the Div.III schools done in games against Div.I?
I know Union got beaten up last year, but hey, they used to get killed
by RIT and they didn't look any worse than Cornell last year (sorry,
Linah Faithful.) Now they might not have a prayer in such a tourney,
but how many bottom seeds get far in the hoop $inal $our? Personally
I'd enjoy the extra games, and maybe it would generate more money and
media attention for the sport.
    Dave Carroll, NYS Div. of the Budget
    [log in to unmask]     (or if path problems ...