Sender:
From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1993 11:43:30 -0500
Erik Beaver informs me that the RPICH rating that he sends out
and the RPI rating that the NC$$ selection committee use to determine
a ranking for playoff selection are vertually the same. OK - that's
what I was waiting to hear.  WHY ????

When I was at the meetings this past week the NC$$ committee told
the D-I coaches that they could (or would not) send out the
RPI ratings that they use as the season comes to a close.  I sat
there almost in disbelief - knowing that I followed the ratings
thru hockey-l all year long (presuming that they may be close
in statistical accuracy).

Some of the coaches asked if the NC$$ would give out these
ratings toward the time of selection - and the committee -
hedged quite a bit and then the NC$$ rep said that did'nt
seem likely.

It seems that some coaches really don't know who's rated where
as season ends - MAYBE THEY SHOULD GET ON HOCKEY-L.  The RPI
index has a lot of bearing on the selection and if its "to
close to call" the committee uses several other tiebreakers
to determine both selection and seeding.  It's these
"tiebreakers" (head to head, last 20 games, playoff results,
etc.) and there importance and priority that took up a lot
of discussion time.

The RPI index is of utmost importance and Eric asked me if he
should send it out to the leagues as the season progresses.
It suprises me that the league commissioners and the leagues
don't already do it.  It also astounds me that a league
representative does'nt tap it to this hockey - l on a
regular basis.  A lot of great info is passed along -
I think "you all" are ahead of some of the boys !!!  In
fact I mentioned this network to several coaches on the
"Q. T. " (such as George G from Miami University) and
they are not only interested but looking forward to getting
on board.  I think you may see more general and open
discussion regarding it as now that Shawn is President.

Brian Cavanaugh
Canisius College