Sender:
From:
Matt Rein #3 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 13:05:07 -0600
Finally, after who knows how many attempts, (6 I think for Coach Woog)
the Gophers won the Broadmoor Trophy.  We all now know the history about
the Trophy (see Re: Broadmoor Cup in Sun, 21 Mar 1993  Volume 93 : Issue 63
of HOCKEY-D Digest), now I'll tell you why the Gophers couldn't win the
trophy.

One word:  Woog!  Now fellow Gophers fans, before you get all uptight,
let me explain.  We all know Da Gophers have the best program in college
hockey and Woog is the best coach the game has ever seen since Mariucci
and Brooks retired.  You just have to realize that Woog has had a monkey
on his back in the Civic Center for a long time.

Remember when Woog coached the South St. Paul Packers?  They made it to
the state tourney ever few years.  Guess who never won the big one
there???  One has to wonder how many times Woog has left the Civic Center
and drove across the Layfayette Bridge with a gun to his head???

1989, Regular season champs, Chorske, Stauber, Skarda, Hankenson(s),
Snuggarude, older Richards, Olimb, Woog at the helm.  Only NMU between
Woog and a long awaited WCHA Championship at the Civic Center.  Broadmoor
Trophy in his grasp.  NOPE!

A few weeks later, same team, same arena.  Score tied, Harvard in trouble.
Skarda shoots, OOOHHHHHHHH he hits the pipe.  Harvard picks up the puck,
skates down, shot GOAL, Woog looses again in the Civic Center.  Harvard
national champs, Minnesota and Doug Woog, runners-up.

Well folks, the stage is set.  Doug Woog finally got the monkey off his
back.  He is now 1-LOTS in championship games in the Civic Center.  He
finally won the big one in the Civic Center in St. Paul Saturday.  (Just
up the river from his hometown of South St. Paul)  The Gophers have a young
and talented team and are headed for the NCAA's this year.  Well guess
what?!?  Next year most of Woogs team is gonna be back and the final
four is gonna be at the Civic Center!!!  I hope the Wooger keeps a spot
open on the mantel for the championship trophy he's gonna win next
year.  (And remember, you heard it here first, Gophers 1993/1994 NCAA
CHAMPS!)

But don't look past this year.  The defense has finally found their pace.
The goal tending is finally above average (Minnesota fans expect alot out
of a goalie after Stauber's Hobey Baker performance in 1988/1989).  And
they have three solid lines with another line that could skate on any
team in the WCHA.  Are the Gophers the team that is gonna knock Maine
out this year???

--
- Matt Rein