From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1993 11:00:06 -0500
> Brian M. writes:
> >>There are two things I am wondering about.  First, I believe the Miami program
> >>said BGSU coach York is the 9th winningest in NCAA college hockey history and
> >>the 3rd winningest among active Division I coaches (I think I read that right)
> >>Who is the winningest coach and with what record?  I'll settle for Division I
> >>if that makes a difference.
> >
> >I don't usually attempt to answer these questions, what with all the hockey
> >stat mavens out on the list, but I would think the answer would have to be Jack
> >Parker from Boston University.  I'm not sure there is any other coachin all of
> >Division 1 with his longevity, and certainly no one at such a successful
> >program.  I don't know his record though (Tony, Sid are you out there?)
>
> Ok, I admit I've got the advantage of having the Drop the Puck yearbook in
> front of me...
>
> The winningest coach, as well as the winningest active coach, is Michigan
> State's Ron Mason, with a record of 684-296-48.  He passed the now-retired
> Len Ceglarski late last season.

Altho I'm not sure about his location in the list anymore, (I believe he is
still 3rd all time)  The Late John MacInnes (passed away march 6, 1983)
had 555 wins  295 losses and 39 ties for Michigan Tech University from
1956-1982  in 26 years as MTU head coach.

The Student ice arena was renemaed  the John J MacInnes Student Ice Arena
a few years back, sticking to the request John Made before he died that they
never take the word "STUDENT" out of the name.  The students voted the extra
fees in the late 60's early 70's to have it built, and John wanted to make
sure they were never forgotten for it.

Bob