From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1993 12:44:57 -0500
Johanna Wise wrote:
>Many worse things have happened to college coaches, and, truly, many
>college coaches have been cited for far more serious offenses. (I wouldnt even
>call the Tory  "incident" an offense at all). I wont name any teams, but
>some include paying their players, taking under-the-table funding, illegal
>team advertising, and a variety of others.

>This "case" is by no means at that level, and therefore any penalty or threat
>to Coach Walsh is uncalled for. He stands for excellence both on and off the
>ice, and fairness for all. I dont think I need to say any more, except
>this incident is being blown way out of proportion, caused probably by the
>jealousy of those less fortunate in post-season play.

Perhaps there are much worse things that could happen. However, for
any institution that values its academic integrity, what allegedly
(and I'll give Walsh the benefit of the doubt until the investigation)
happened certainly threatens UM's academic credibility.

Walsh clearly stands for excellence on the ice. He professes, in words,
to profess the same of the ice. The investigation will hopefully show
if his actions are consistent with his words.