From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1993 21:55:28 -0500
From: Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
------------------

>University of Maine head coach Shawn Walsh said Friday he knew
>Maine defenseman Jeff Tory might have trouble with NCAA academ-
>ic requirements since last year.

>In Saturday's Bangor Daily News, Walsh is reported to have ack-
>nowledged he knew Northern Michigan and Alaska-Fairbanks had
>stopped recruiting Tory when they discovered Tory might be in-
>eligible his freshman year.

>Walsh said that while he knew Tory had been rejected by two
>schools, he didn't bring the rejections to the attention of ad-
>missions officials at Maine or the athletic department's NCAA
>compliance officer, Woody Carville. Carville said if he had
>known about the rejections, he would have checked with the NCAA
>office.

>Walsh said it's standard procedure for him not to mention po-
>tential problems about players who are being recruited - even
>if the players are accepted at Maine.

WHY?????????? Is it his agenda to put the hockey program on
a separate level not subject to the same admissions rules as
the rest of the University? Is he that arrogant?

>"My impression is we had information no one else got," Walsh
>told the BDN. "I saw no reason to check with the NCAA."

>Northern Michigan coach Rick Comley told the BDN he had disc-
>ussed Tory's academics with Walsh last winter. Comley said he
>commented to Walsh he saw no way Tory could play as a freshman.

it would seem to me, unless I'm misinterpreting this, that either
Comley or Walsh is lying. See below paragraph...

>Comley said that in addition to talking with Walsh about Tory,
>a member of his coaching staff shared written information with
>UMaine assistant coach Grant Standbrook. The information was
>about Alaska-Fairbanks's efforts to recruit Tory and the pro-
>gram's subsequent pulling out because of Tory's high school
>transcript. The NCAA informed Alaska-Fairbanks Tory's grades
>were not satisfactory.

[...]
>"My only mistake was in not double-checking before allowing
>him to play," Walsh told the BDN.

especially when Comley apparently told Walsh of the situation.
Another mistake, IMO, was not even mentioning it to the
Admissions Dept.

From: [log in to unmask] (Wayne Smith)

>I think some other info will become public soon.  The NCAA probably did
>not change their mind in mid-stream.  Walsh was aware of the NMU (and
>AK) NCAA rulings as he discussed them with Rick Comely.  When Walsh
>received the letter from the school, he believed he had new evidence and
>that Tory was eligible.

Did Walsh think the ruling of the school board superceded the NC$$'s
ruling? Didn't it even occur to him to double check since he got one
person saying one thing and another saying something else???

>I think Maine is split 50-50, half thinking Walsh either nuts, wrong or
>deceptive with all this (he did not let any of the admissions office,
>the NCAA compliance officer, nor the NCAA know of any of the story, but
>"made a judgement on his own".

Deceptive seems appropriate.

From: John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
--------------------------

>Ryan Robbins wrote:
[...]
>>In Saturday's Bangor Daily News, Walsh is reported to have ack-
>>nowledged he knew Northern Michigan and Alaska-Fairbanks had
>>stopped recruiting Tory when they discovered Tory might be in-
>>eligible his freshman year.

>Wouldn't that set off alarm bells in someone's head? Two schools don't just
>suddenly stop recruiting someone for no reason.

It should.

>>Walsh said that while he knew Tory had been rejected by two
>>schools, he didn't bring the rejections to the attention of ad-
>>missions officials at Maine or the athletic department's NCAA
>>compliance officer, Woody Carville. Carville said if he had
>>known about the rejections, he would have checked with the NCAA
>>office.
>>
>>Walsh said it's standard procedure for him not to mention po-
>>tential problems about players who are being recruited - even
>>if the players are accepted at Maine.
>>[...]

>Hmm, so you have a player that is a possible academic problem, and you don't
>tell your admissions officials or your compliance officer? It seems to me that
>you are asking for trouble if you do that.

Yup!

From: Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
------------------

>University of Maine President Frederick Hutchinson and Athletic
>Director Michael Ploszek called for an investigation of the
>Jeff Tory eligibility situation Sunday. The announcements comes
>two days after hed coach Shawn Walsh said he knew there might
>be problems with Tory's eligibility.

>Portland TV station WCSH reported early Monday morning Hutchinson
>has called for the investigation to protect the integrity of
>the UMaine sports program.

Good for Hutchinson. Unless the investigation produces a major
revelation, I hope Hutchinson asks for Walsh's resignation!

From: [log in to unmask] (Wayne Smith)
--------------------------

>   The NCAA was not asked about Tory by Maine.  Latest poop has an
>   internal investigation on at Maine ...  Walsh has not publicly
>   admitted he knew of other 2 NCAA inquiries and, even though he
>   thought he had "new evidence", should have contacted the Maine
>   admissions dept, NCAA compliance officer, and NCAA ...  none of which
>   he did.  :-(

Especially if he had new evidence that conflicted with other information
(ie Comley).

In conclusion, this whole scenario only confirms some of the suspicions
of Coach Walsh for some time. I'll refrain from personal comments on
him (except for the one calling him the Lou Holtz of college hockey).