From:
"Earth v. Soup" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Earth v. Soup
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1993 17:58:35 -0500
On Sun, 28 Nov 1993, Isaac Kim wrote:

> I realize that state schools like Minnesota and SCSU should cater to the
> local state population first.  But if they want to compete at the highest
> levels of college hockey - don't you think they need to recruit better
> players from outside Minnesota, including Canada?
>
> Just as in college basketball, the better programs like Michigan and North
> Carolina have to recruit outside their state boundaries to remain at the
> highest competitive level.

I can easily relate to the college basketball analogy here, cuz I am removed
from Indiana, where most of the prize recruits last season were
from California (and even one from Canada) and this year one of Knight's
early recruiting victory came when Andrae Patterson from Texas signed a
letter of intent.

Needless to say, many of the locals were taken aback by the import of so many
``non-Hoosiers'' to the fold. To me, it seems to be just another symptom of
the increasing need of college programs to ``do what it takes'' to win, and
that includes getting the best players, regardless of where they're from.

mlc