Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 16:06:57 PDT
Mike writes:

>I wonder whether teams like UConn and Holy Cross would
>receive offers to join this league...UConn was rumored to be
>interested in HE but I was recently told by HE commish Stu Haskell
>that there weren't any other serious applicants (other than
>UMass which wasn't officially in at the time).  HC is also DivI, yet
>they might be happy where they are with
>the school's trend towards de-emphasizing athletics.
> Off-season scuttlebutt is off to a flying start...

According to College Hockey Magazine 3/20/93, the MAAC issued
a press release concerning the formation of a new hockey
conference. To quote the article:

"As stated in the MAAC press release announcing the proposal,
NCAA Division I membership would allow for ice hockey to count
towards NCAA sponsorship minimums, allow for the institution to
receive NCAA revenue sharing for the sport, allow
student-atheletes to receive NCAA membership benefits such
as catastrophic insurance, post graduate scholarships, etc., and
elevate the stature of the sport on campus.

A conference composed of 13 NCAA Division I members could
ensure compliance with national scheduling requirements based
on a 25 NCAA match schedule requirement. League members would
then be free to schedule traditional additional Div. I opponents

The MAAC proposes to adopt Div. 3 financial aid regulations and
remain within the umbrella of the ECAC, using ECAC officials.
But the league would have its own hockey championship and its
own headquarters to allow for centralized administration of
scheduling, media relations, marketing and awards."

The article then outlines a "Proposed Alignment":

North:
Army
Canisius
Duquesne