From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1993 15:57:08 -0500
A lengthy article appeared in today's Free Press (BU student paper) that
had some of Coach Parker's ramblings about this year's Hockey East playoff
format.  Considering all the discussion, I thought it might be interesting,
so I've put bit and pieces of the article here:

On the current HE format, with all 8 teams "advancing" to the quarterfinals:
        "This format is absolutely absurd," Parker said. "Letting all eight
teams into the playoffs is absurd."
        If Parker had his way, last weekend's playoff games would have been
regular season games instead, and then the quarterfinal games would have been
played Tuesday night.
        Parker said he favored a single-elimination format for the QF round
with six teams overall participating in postseason action. Eliminating the
bottom two teams would give the top two seeds a first-round bye and allow
the #3 and #4 seeds to host the #5 and #6 teams, respectively, in one-game
quarterfinals.
        "Why let all eight teams in the playoffs? It renders the regular
season moot," Parker said. "The top teams should be rewarded."
        One of Parker's biggest complaints was that the Terriers faced
Boston College yet again.
        "We've played BC way too much this year," he said, pointing out that
Sunday's win was the sixth meeting this season between the two teams.
        BC head coach Steve Cedorchuk said the system used this year worked
because all four of the top seeds advanced, but it is not a system he would
like kept in place. Unlike Parker, "Cedor" favors a playoff system which allows
all eight Hockey East teams to participate.
        "I think all eight teams should play at one site with the quarters,
semis, and final played at that same site," he said. "It would create a great
atmosphere and that's what college hockey is all about." "I think it could
work, but who knows with our league," he added.
        Cedorchuk said the league's reasoning for the present QF format is
an attempt to draw large crowds.
        "The League likes it for attendance, but you had 1,200 and 1,400 at
BU this weekend and that doesn't say much," he said.
        Merrimack head coach Ron Anderson said the key to QF action is
finding a format that doesn't take away from what a successful team
accomplished during the regular season.
        "It's not fair to have single elimination because it's not fair for
a team who had a great year to be knocked out because of one bad game," he
said. "We're trying to structure it to be fair for everybody."

**************
In a couple of other BU notes,

Senior goalie Scott Cashman suffered a groin injury in practice this week,
but may play this weekend, leaving the starting netminder situation up
in the air. Parker has said he plans to use either Cashman or sophomore
Derek Herlofsky against UNH on Friday, but won't decide until game time.

on a sidenote, Cashman was 1-0 vs. UNH this season, making 37 saves in a 3-1
victory at Snively on January 22.
Herlofsky was 1-1 against the Wildcats, with 12 stops in a 6-4 loss Jan. 23
at BU, and 18 stops in a 4-0 win Feb. 5, also at BU.

Jon Pratt, recovering from a separated shoulder suffered Feb. 20 at Maine,
is ready to play, but Parker has been pleased with Ken Rausch's performance
also and can't decide who to put in the lineup.
"If Pratt doesn't play, it's not because he isn't physically ready," Parker
said.

On the subject of NC$$ seedings, Parker said he feels the outcomes of BU's
games this weekend at the Garden would not determine the Terriers' seed.
"I think if Harvard wins the
ECAC's they'll get the second seed, but if they lose I think we'll be number
two," he said.
Harvard, of course, faces Brown in the semifinals, with the winner facing
the victor of the RPI-Clarkson matchup, in the finals.

good luck this weekend, everybody!

Sid Whitaker
Boston Univ.