From:
Scott Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 16:37:01 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>
 [log in to unmask] (SFLC000) writes:
>I don't know how Rick Comley feels about Tech's band.  Speaking as an
>NMU Fan, and I am sure for those who have had occasion to sit next to
>this band by virtue of their season tickets, something had to go, and it
>should not have been ticket holders at Lakeview Arena.  "In Heaven There
>Is No Beer" might have some merit, but played full blast in your ear for
>60 minutes plus was hard on the people having season tickets in Sections
>1 and 2 because ears were ringing after one period of hockey.  I know
>that people in those sections complained because I had seats in that
>section at the time the Tech band played here and the noise level took
>away my enjoyment of the game.
>Laura
>GO NORTHERN!!

For my two cents worth...

Whenever a band detracts from the pleasure of the fans, it's time to
reevaluate priorities.  The question is a simple one: "Who has `rights' to
enjoy themselves?"  IMHO, the Number One priority (next to the team) goes to
the fans, by virtue of numbers.  As the name implies, a "hockey game" has for
its purpose "the playing of hockey", NOT "listening to a band."  So whenever
the presence of a band impedes a person's ability to enjoy the game, I feel
the decision is an easy one; the band should be the one to go.

Now, before someone starts leaving death threats on my answering machine,
I don't mean to imply that I think *ALL* bands should be banned from *ALL*
hockey games.  However, I have sympathy for the guy/gal that is trying to
pay attention to an exciting game, but unable to even hear the blow of a
whistle because his ears have been ringing for the last period and a half.

Bottom line:  Bands should try to come up with a better "half-way medium"
to the music (sound?) they generate.  They should be considerate of those
around them, and whenever it seems to them that there are people who
aren't enjoying (can't enjoy) the music they play (ie. it's TOO LOUD), they
should tone it down, and avoid this whole situation (ie. discussions of
banning bands from attending.)  Self-policing is much more preferable than
policing by higher authorities (ie. arena officials.)

Bands are fun, but too much of a good thing is usually a bad thing.
Moderation is the key word.

- Scott Raymond <[log in to unmask]>, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute