From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 91 23:53:10 EST
Mike comments ...
> NORTHEASTERN 6, at MAINE 6 (ot)
> at MAINE 3, NORTHEASTERN 1
>
> I only have a box from the first game, so here are a few details from that
> one.  After a 1-1 opening period, the Huskies (now 4-15-2) exploded for fou
> goals in the second from Matt Saunders (2), Dino Grossi, and Rob Cowie to
> go up 5-2 after two.  ...

   What an interesting period, was the second!  Maine scored a power
   play goal, but allowed two power play goals and two short-handed
   goals.  Northeastern played a solid defensive-styled (weekend) and so
   protected goalie Cole.  Maine put its goalies out to dry many times,
   though Snow probably could have been expected to stop some of the
   pucks that went in.  Snow was replaced by a not yet completely healed
   Dunham to start the third period.

>                  ...  But Patrice Tardif, Jim Montgomery, and Justin
> Tomberlin (2nd of the game) tied it with three goals between 6:26 and 10:55
> of the third period.  Sebastian LaPlante put the underDogs up 6-5 at 12:16,
> and then Martin Robitaille evened it at 6 just 45 seconds later.  ...

   It was a surprising (and elating for Maine fans) comeback, but it was
   based on hard work.  More than one player for Maine did not see
   action in the third (4 defense and about 2/3 of forwards did play)
   due to poor performances, presumably.  For Northeastern, LaPlante
   was impressive over the weekend scoring "easily" on most or all of
   his break-aways.

>                                                              ...  Tom Cole
> stopped 28 shots for the Hounds while Garth Snow had 10 saves and Mike
> Dunham had 32.  (I wonder when the last time was that Maine allowed 48
> shots in a game!)

   The shots on goal were:

   Period/Goalie            1   2   3   ot    total
   Northeastern (Cole)     10  13   8    3     34      (28 saves)
   Maine        (Snow)     11  12   -    -     23      (18 saves)
                (Dunham)    -   -  13    4     17      (16 saves)

   Yea, Maine gave up 40 shots on, but should feel lucky that they
   scored on 4 of 8 shots on in the 3rd period!