From:
Nate Huang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 91 22:15:50 -0500
Brown pulls off a stunner, beating the Cantabs here in Providence
tonight.  Brown was lucky to catch Harvard goalie Alain Roy on an off
night, and Pierre Belanger in an abnormally peaceful mood.

Harvard opened the scoring with Donato getting a short handed goal in
the first.  Brown's goalie Finch didn't even move as Donato took a
slapshot from beyond the left circle.  Finch did come up big a few
seconds later, stopping Burke on a clean breakaway.  Joey Beck tied it
at 1.  Later in the period, Harvard's Ciavaglia scored a power play
goal, and Brown's Ross also scored to end the period at 2-2.

Roy looked terrible in the second, as Brown scored three times.  Pogor
beat him with a slapshot that Roy didn't move on.  Then, as I was
yelling at Pierre for a non-call, I looked up when I heard the crowd
cheer and watched Roy angrily fling the puck out of his net.  Verdeber
got that goal.  Finally, on a Brown power play, Roy tapped the puck
too lightly away from his net, and a Brown guy zipped it across the
crease to another Brown guy for the goal.

Drury got one for the Crimson in the third.

Pierre did manage one ridiculous thing, calling matching minors in the
third.  As the players lined up for the ensuing face-off, he called
matching minors again on two players struggling for position on the
face-off.  He seems to like doing that.  But a 3-on-3 with Ciavaglia
on the ice is essentially a Harvard power play.  Luckily, Brown played
inspired hockey and didn't give up a goal.  I carefully watched
Ciavaglia during this 3-on-3.  He may lead the league in scoring, but
I see why - he stands around waiting for the breakaway.  Brown almost
scored twice while he waited around at his own blue line.

Cornell was tied 4-4 with Princeton in the 3rd, so I'll wait for
Bill's report to see if the Red gained ground.

Nate