From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1993 17:20:42 GMT
I was just able to catch up on my Usenet articles from the past week, and
of course, HOCKEY-L is part of that.  I was reading a thread of discussion
about a harassing phone call, and the fact that it was probably an RPI
Hockey-L reader.

I just wanted to point out that the Hockey-L readership from RPI is very
likely much greater than what appears on the membership list, given the
fact that we have this mailing list gated thru our Usenet service.

This is a privilege as well as a convenience for us.  It cuts down on
disk usage, since only one copy of each posting needs to get saved, as
opposed to 20 or 30 (my estimation of the number of RPI subscribers).
Furthermore, the "trn" newsreader makes reading Hockey-L postings really
easy, since it threads discussion subjects, among other things.

However, Wayne did this for us knowing that he could not track the full
RPI readership once we began receiving Hockey-L over Usenet.  In return,
I promised (for everyone else here) that we would not abuse the
privilege.  This recent harassment incident is a form of abuse.  I'm
sure I speak for others here in asking that those people who are
reading Hockey-L quietly on Usenet please be considerate of everyone
else.  There have been enough posts on this harassment subject, so I'll
just end here.                      -- kennyz

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Computer Science Department; Intramural Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180