From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1993 10:16:33 EST
You remember it from last year. It made you all tingle-y inside when
the light bulb lit up and you finally understood. It turned you into a
devoted follower, anxious to attack any reporter who bad-mouthed it.
Yes, folks, "Inside The College Hockey Computer Rating" is back!

"Inside TCHCR" is a simplified view of the goings-on of the computer
rating, with tiny examples that allow you to get out your calculator
and follow right along. Since this season's TCHCR is even simpler,
those who struggled last year can try again. And since it is only three
pages long, you can read it between periods of a hockey game.

And as a special bonus, if you order now, you will get, absolutely
free, a copy of the actual schedule graph of the 43 teams! You can
trace the path from St. Cloud to Wisconsin to BC to St. Lawrence to
Princeton to Western Michigan in the comfort of your very own home.

Hear the testimonials of the experts:

"I never understood how the airline industry calculated fares until I
read 'Inside The College Hockey Computer Rating.' Great job, Keith."
-- Dave Barry

"After reading 'Inside TCHCR,' I was able close the generation gap and
relate with my kids better."  -- A Division I hockey coach

"Yeah, now I see how it works, but I still think it stinks."  -- A
reporter in New York

"I am not just the president, but their best customer, too."  -- Me

ORDER NOW!!!!!!!!!

OK, that was fun, now down to the serious stuff.

"Inside TCHCR" is available in several electronic formats. For those
who have a Macintosh and Word 4.0, I have a stuffed and binhexed
version of the file. For those with a Postscript printer handy, there
are two files available: a 200K file in Palatino and a 1M file in Times
with the font info in the file. I recommend the smaller file, but the
larger one may work for you if the smaller one does not.

You can get these files either by anonymous ftp or by email. If
possible, I would prefer you to use ftp. The machine name is
andy.bgsu.edu, the directory is /pub/Hockey and the file names are:

           InsideTCHCR.sit.hqx      Word file
           InsideTCHCR.ps           small Postscript file
           InsideTCHCR.times.ps     large PS file

If anon ftp is not possible, then I will email you the file you want.
Send a note to me at "[log in to unmask]". Replying to this message
*should* be directed back to me only, but make sure you are not posting
your request to the entire HOCKEY-L/D community.

Last year, I also surface-mailed a few copies. I will do this again (at
no cost to you) with one provision: if we ever meet face-to-face
(hopefully at a hockey game), you are welcome to buy me a pop or a beer
or a steak.

This year, I am also offering to fax it to you. The quality won't be as
good, but the total cost to me is about the same.

I got rid of that pesky header that messed up some of your printers
last year, but I suspect there will still be problems this year.  Email
me and we'll try to work out the glitches. Also, I imagine you will
find errors and typos again, so email me and I'll fix them. The current
version of "Inside TCHCR" is dated 12/30/92, but I'll be updating the
schedule graph in it regularly, so I can easily fix typos then, too.

Thanks for all of your support!

Keith [log in to unmask]