Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1993 16:44:17 EST
Since I am neophyte to the list, would someone explain to me where the NC$$
gets its power from?  Does a university join the NC$$ and thereby agree to
become beholden to it (ok, with the exception of UNLV :-)).  A while back I
was informed that a mid-season all-star game was apparently taboo in the NC$$
eyes.  Now, as Craig Cheslog notes, the NC$$ has apparently threatened to
withdraw its sponsorship of the post-season Big Show.

What I'm driving at is can college hockey essentially withdraw from the NC$$--
police itself, hold its own tournament, market itself, etc.  Discounting the
probable opposition from college presidents, can a university declare its
hockey program, but not football, basketball, etc. outside the NC$$?  Is there
a "if one sport, all sports" rule vis a vis universities and the NC$$?  Any
lawyers out on the list that can dissect the relevant NC$$ agreements?

Aside to Greg, a hockey NIT sounds great.  How about dividing the bids by
states-- New York, Minnesota, Michigan and a wild card for the rest. ;-)  OK,
maybe Michigan should get two....
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris