From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1992 05:36:41 EST
Dave writes:
>Apparently, Jerry Welsh told them late this week that if they (Ohio State) did
>not sweep the weekend, the players would have to stay in Columbus until Monday,
>because there would be a practice Monday morning.  The original plan was that
>the players could go home for break on Sunday.  Apparently, this only made the
>players mad instead of motivating them, and they did not look motivated
>tonight.  Jerry Welsh...master of psychology.  Sigh.

Seems to me that if this did happen, it would only serve to make the
players take ND and UIC lightly and not give them the respect they
deserved.  Such overconfidence is bound to come back and hurt you.  I'd
also bet the opposing coaches would welcome such an attitude.  If a coach
won't respect the opponent enough to make this kind of comment/threat (if
it happened), I don't see how you can expect the players to do the same.

In contrast, when Merrimack travelled to Maine earlier this year, there was
a clear attitude of seriousness around the Maine team, as shown by a sign I
saw posted in the office which read, "The most important game of the year
is TONIGHT against Merrimack" - or something like that.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*