From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 90 11:51:00 CST
various scores from the WCHA:

Thursday 12/13/90
  Wisconsin 4, Denver 2
  Dynamo Riga 6, North Dakota 2  (Exhibition)

Friday 12/14/90
  St. Cloud State 6, Minnesota-Duluth 3
  Wisconsin 5, Denver 2
  Colorado College 4, Princeton 2  (NC)
  Michigan Tech 4, Western Michigan 4  (NC)

Saturday 12/15/90
  St. Cloud State 5, Minnesota-Duluth 4
  Minnesota 4, Dynamo Riga 4  (Exhibition)
  Michigan Tech at Western Michigan  (not yet in)
  Princeton at Colorado College  (not yet in)

NOTES:
  Minnesota worked hard to gain a 4-4 tie with Dynamo Riga.  Riga coach Ewald
Grabowsky (quoted in the Mpls. Star Tribune) said, "Minnesota is much better,
much stronger than the other teams we've played on this trip.  Others dump the
puck and shoot more.  I like the style Minnesota played, but I didn't like
some of the referee's calls."
  Riga took several penalties in the third period, as they responded with
cross-checking, slashing, and high-sticking to the Gophers' aggressive
forechecking.  Riga scored on 2 of 7 power play opportunities, the Gophers
on three of eight.
  Dynamo Riga plays in the Soviet Union's Elite league.  The last time they
visted North America, they played several NHL teams in the NHL Super Series.
They beat the LA Kings and the Minnesota North Stars, and tied the Calgary
Flames who went on the win the Stanley Cup that year.

-- Erik

Erik J. Biever                           --GOLDEN GOPHER   MMMMM    MMMMM
St. Paul, Minnesota                     --HOCKEY            MM MM  MM MM
Home of the 1991 NCAA Championship     --Fastest Game      MM   MMMM   MM
BITNET:    e-biev@uminn1              --In Town           MM   MMMMMM   MM
INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]                      MMMMM          MMMMM