Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 90 12:08:02 EST
 This was a really hard game to watch on the tube. I was very surprised when
 the local TV play-by-play guys (Frank Mazzoco and Wally Shaver) announced the
 officials for the game: Brian Ricci was the referee, I thought I had misheard
 them!!! So much for getting booted from the WCHA...(or maybe the Daily
 reporter got his facts wrong.) Although the game was very intense and was
 filled with penalties, Ricci did not lose control of the game and did a fairly
 decent job of it. (Both my opinion and Frank & Wally's) It was a chippy game,
 but then this is the way MOST teams play the Gophers in order to keep up with
 our "speedskaters". What Frank and Wally found particularly "amusing" was the
 fact that UND had been complaining all week about how chippy Wisconsin was
 when they met the previous weekend...doesn't it take one to know one? (This is
 not intended as an insult mind you, just an observation and Frank and Wally
 milked it for all it was worth!!) The game also had the "traditional debris"
 thrown to the ice after UND scored. I believe coach Woog asked Ricci for a
 delay of game penalty on UND after the first one, but Ricci declined. (No
 surprise here--I have NEVER heard of UND getting a penalty for the junk their
 fans toss onto the ice.) I would also like to mention that I thought the UND
 fans were particularly unpleasant last night. I've been to Grand Forks several
 times and have never seen them so WILD. Perhaps knocking off #1 gave them
 extra incentive. I have always enjoyed my trips to Grand Forks too, but I'm
 glad I wasn't in the crowd last night. Well, it was bound to happen one of
 these weekends and better away than at home. It will be interesting to see if
 Marty Schriner (UND) goes after Ben Hankinson(MN) tonight. (Schriner sat out
 last nights game on a DQ.) For those of you who remember back to July in the
 Olympic Fest, Schriner was the hot-shot who bragged to Ben about being 11-0 in
 fights in the Canandian Junior league, and then Ben made him 11-1. I really
 hope no one gets tossed for fighting tonight as we face Wisconsin at home next
 weekend and will need everyone against such a chippy team :-) *:-) ;-).
 Carol White
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!

 Ann Landers Gem of the Day:
 Anyone who believes that the competitive spirit in America is dead has never
 been in a supermarket when the cashier opens another checkout line!