From:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:36:28 -0600
On Nov 25 2009, Sara M. Fagan wrote:

> I heard a news story on WBZ radio today while I was running errands. I
> don't remember all the details but it was something along the lines of
> someone (Paul ?) being hired to run a new initiative which will be the
> arm of the NCAA which will be in charge of marketing college hockey. It
> will be based in Newton, MA. Sorry I don't remember more.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2009/11/22/new_college_initiative_is_ready_to_put_kelly_at_the_head_of_the_class/

HOCKEY NOTES

New college initiative is ready to put Kelly at the head of the class

By Kevin Paul Dupont  |  November 22, 2009

Paul Kelly, given the heave-ho Aug. 31 as boss of the NHL Players
Association, will be named again as an executive director Tuesday afternoon
in a news conference held in the shadows of Harvard Stadium.

But this time, Kelly will be named executive director of College Hockey
Inc. His mission: raise the profile of Division 1 NCAA hockey and spread
the word, mainly to US and Canadian-born youngsters, that the college game
is a viable alternative, if not a preferred option, to playing major junior
hockey in Canada. It can also be the route to the NHL.

“Like one Division 1 coach said to me recently,’’ said Hockey East
commissioner Joe Bertagna, “it’s like they’re selling Edsels in Canada and
we’re selling Cadillacs down here in the US. But the problem is, they’re
selling more than we are.’’

Kelly, meanwhile, gains some separation from the clunker he was dealt by
the Players Association, which remains in disarray after the ham-fisted
decision to fire him just prior to Labor Day. It has since become obvious
that he was the victim of a carefully crafted palace coup, which has
subsequently led to the resignations of the many, shall we say, characters
who were eager to inherit control of the NHLPA.

While the NHLPA tries to right its listing and rudderless ship, Kelly now
will attempt to bring more positive attention to the US college game - a
challenge, he said, that he is eager to tackle.

“Not only do I love the challenge,’’ said Kelly, “but I love the idea that
I get to build this initiative from the ground up. I knew I wanted to
remain in hockey in a meaningful way.

“I suppose I could have gone back to law, be that with a big firm or just
hang my own shingle and start taking cases. But I love the game, and after
getting a taste of it with the PA job, it wasn’t something that I wanted to
give up. I’m thrilled to have this opportunity.’’

College Hockey Inc. will be headquartered in Newton, not far from Kelly’s
home in Needham, and he soon will hire a staff. Much of the mission will
center around a marketing campaign, one that no doubt will be directed at
the parents of teen-agers who begin to make important career/education
decisions around hockey as early as age 14.

Under NCAA rules, a prospect must be 16 before a college can recruit him,
which means, in many cases, the top Canadian junior programs have a
two-year advantage in the process. College Hockey Inc. will try to
neutralize that edge.

“As soon as that kid plays junior,’’ reminded Bertagna, the former Harvard
goalie, “he’s lost his eligibility ever to play in the NCAA. Not all
players or their parents are aware of that when they’re making their
decision. So, sure, it’s in our best interest that they know that, but it’s
also in the interest of that player and his parents.

“Obviously, there are kids who are making the right decision to go the
major junior route. If they don’t have an academic bone in their body, and
their dream is to play in the NHL, then that’s fine for them.

“But we’ve proven over and over in the college game that the good players
will still make it to the NHL, and if they don’t, they’ll have had the
experience of playing top hockey, and they’ll have that college degree for
the rest of their lives.’’

Kelly, said Bertagna, proved to be the best candidate from among some 30
very strong applicants for the position. The funding for the job, which
will have Kelly speaking on behalf of the 58 Division 1 college teams in
the country, is coming from USA Hockey, which is re-purposing funds it was
granted by the NHL to boost hockey interest and awareness in the US.

“A lot has changed in the college game over the last 10 years,’’ noted
Bertagna. “For instance, there are 42 Division 1 players playing this year
from California. That’s an unbelievable shift. A 14- or 16-year-old kid
from California doesn’t know Seattle from BU, which isn’t the case of a kid
from, say, Minnesota or Massachusetts - they know the culture.

“The Canadian junior programs simply do a better job selling their
programs, and they’re now competing for kids from all over, including
Michigan, Minnesota, New York, and New England, and everywhere else.’’

According to Bertagna, 10 years ago, there were 181 Massachusetts kids
playing Division 1 NCAA hockey. A decade later, that number dropped to 129.
New England-wide, the number fell from 288 to 197 over the same span. Going
back just four years, only 65 Americans were playing in Canada’s major
junior program. Last season, that number stood at 111.

“All the Division 1 commissioners are thrilled to have Paul aboard,’’ said
Bertagna. “He brings credibility, skill, contacts, and personality to what
we believe is a vital position.’’