From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:23:23 -0700
--- "Carol S. White" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> . . .

> 4,375  OSU, Columbus groups

> . . .
> The NCAA allocated its Columbus tickets to the Columbus Blue Jackets, the
> Greater Columbus Sports Commission, Value City seat-license holders and
> people on record for buying a ticket to a Buckeyes hockey game.

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Anybody know how those 4375 tickets were distributed?

If they were given away or sold for significantly less than face, then the recipients have no
particular reason to attend, unless they happen to have an interest in college hockey.  This would
result in empty seats. The more enterprising ones might try to sell their tickets on the open
market, diluting it.

If they were sold at face value, then whether they sold or not would be dependent on the number of
locals they could market the tickets to.  My guess is that there’s not much local demand and OSU
is not particularly skilled at marketing hockey.

I’m not sure where the Blue Jackets would be on ticket sales.  This event could actually hurt
them.  It could be that some of their fans attend a college game, like it better than the NHL, and
start spending their hockey dollars at OSU games rather than the Blue Jackets.

The NCAA needs to be more creative with their distribution formula.  For example, allotting a
large block of tickets to the host organization might make a lot of sense if the FF is in
Minneapolis or Boston, but if it’s in a destination that’s a tourist site rather than a hockey
hotbed (e.g. if the Washington DC bid is successful), it might make more sense to sell more of the
tickets through the lottery and give the host the money.

> The University of Minnesota still had a "handful" of tickets yesterday. But
> the three other schools — the University of Denver, University of North
> Dakota and Colorado College — sold out.

Very disappointing to me.  Until Michael Neal enlightened me, I woulda thunk that the Minnesota
tickets would have been snapped up.  They can’t get as much interest as CC and DU?