From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1992 13:35:50 CST
Chris Skowen writes:

> I'm following, with curiosity, the discussion on how the NC$$ selects teams
> for the National Tourney and am curious how Wisconsin fits in all of this.
> Does a second place finish in the WCHA in the regular season cinch a spot in
> the field of 12?  Will Wisconsin's performance in the WCHA play-offs have
> any bearing on their chances?  Just curious.

Right now Wisconsin is #6 in the NC$$ poll and #8 in RPICH.  They are the #5
Western team in both.  If they were to lose the best-of-three first round
playoff with St Cloud they could possibly drop out of the picture, otherwise
not.  I doubt they will finish any higher than #4 West or lower than #6 West.
Remember that playoff games apparently are no more important than regular
season games in the eyes of the committee.   If the Badgers were to beat both
Northern Michigan and Minnesota in the WCHA Phinal Phour (if they all get
there), they could move up.  It seems unlikely that with their record so far
they would miss making the field.

-- Erik