From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne T. Smith
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:48:49 -0500
Allen wrote, in part:

>As I ponder all of this I wonder if having the semi-finals so spread out is
>a good idea.  I don't agree with the 16 team format, but if we are going to
>stay with that, why not let the top 4 seeds host a regional on their home
>ice.  I realize the concept of pre-selling tickets is appealing to the
>league, but if you were playing in Maine or North Dakota tonight, you
>wouldn't find room to stand in either arena, never mind a seat.

You wouldn't find a seat if the games had been in Maine, but you
wouldn't have sold any more tickets, either!

Alfond Arena holds just over 5,000 ... and that was approximately the
attendance at the Pepsi Arena.  Several school arenas hold less than
that.  Add in transportation and housing headaches, I think you'll see
NCAA campus games are 2 steps back.

cheers, wayne