From:
Rita-Ann Monde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita-Ann Monde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 20:16:51 -0800
Cornell defeats Ohio state 3-1 tonight. Mark Knoepfli [spelling?] got
2 goals for the big red and david levneau was in goal for the win.

I listened to the last period over the internet using  audio players
from real.com  [cornell, via OCSN (official college sports network),
now charges for listening to the games over the net]. here's some of
the trouble-shooting I had to do and i hope it saves people some
hassles [and from missing the 1st 2 periods].

first i'm a mac user running OS 9 on my ibook and had previously
downloaded REAL PLAYER BASIC 8 which according to real.com's website
is what i would need for my machine. I tried to connect to the feed
from the cornell website, but i got error messages saying that I
could not connect to the server. I'm at a university so i know my
connection to the outside world is fine. the tech support person at
real.com was not very helpful in helping me trouble shoot, and could
not explain why i was unable to connect to the server delivering the
feed of the game. He blamed it on my connection to the internet and
could not tell me what settings to check.  Re-installing REAL PLAYER
BASIC did not work.

What I had to do was run OS 10 on my computer and install the newest
[and recommended] REALONE player which only works on macs running
OS10. since the programs i need for work and OS10 don't always play
nice, i have avoided running 10. now to get my hockey fix, i will be
running 10.

a few other things. the real.com home page is not very user friendly.
If you are on the college sports pass, you should in theory be able
to listen to any other game play by a school affiliated with OSCN.
However, REAL.COM does not have a "viewers" guide or a series of
links/pull down menus listing what games are being played and links
to the audio feed. I remember Yahoo.com did have this, back when
listening was free. thus you need to know if the school(s) you are
interested in are part of OSCN, have links to their website [i.e. the
cornell's men's hockey web site] so that you can then link to the
audio feed. what a hassle if you feel like listening to whoever is
playing at the time.

similarly, OSCN websites is just as useless an user unfriendly. No
listing of the games available for listening . the "partners" link
does list the schools they are affliated with, but that's all.

Finally, does anyone know if the games are archived? and if so, how
do i access the games? for the subscription fee they force us to pay,
that's the least they could do for us. since i live on the west
coast, It isn't always possible for me to tune in at 4 pm friday
afternoons to listen to the games. I would like to option of
listening at a more convienent time.

Right now i'm doing the 2-week free trial which also includes access
to the nba games. I have also had trouble connecting to basketball
games using real player basic 8. thus far and not happy with the set
up and dread having to pay to listen to the games when connecting to
them is such a hassle.

Has anyone else experienced trouble trying to listen to their teams
games using the "pay to listen" system of OSCN-Real.com? Or is this
just what i get for being a Mac user :) :).

anyways, Cornell, wins, I *think/hope* i have found a way to listen
to their games, and only 58 days until i see cornell play in person
at the "florida everblades college hockey classic" in Estero Florida.
Hope to meet some of you there!!

Let's Go Red!!!

Rita Monde

Trinity College 1991