From:
"Lethert, Patrick" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lethert, Patrick
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:10:26 -0600
Officiating and rules are not about evening up the game.  If we wanted to
make things even, we could begin by assigning Ryan Miller, Dean Weasler and
Denver's duo larger nets than their opposing goalies.  After all, if those
goalies can't stop more shots than a weaker goalie, why shouldn't the
opposition have a better chance to beat them?

As a coach, your strategies are certainly 100% correct.  However, there is
no reason that the less talented team has to be given rules advantages to
stay in the game. Skill hockey is more entertaining to most people, but
winning is winning.  Utilizing what you have within the rules is how that
end is achieved.  Some teams have more to work with but don't always win.
That's why we don't play the games on paper.