From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:49:15 -0800
I completely agree with Tom.  I would add, refs are pushed by coaches, I
believe, because coaches HAVE TO WIN, to not makes calls the further you go
into a game.  The phrase "let the players decided it" is almost as
ludicrous as "the offense will take care of itself" - but don't get me
started.  There are so many college teams (men and women) who use the hook
and hack school - and they do it so much, what's a ref to do, put half the
team in the box? - YES!

One bright note - you think the zebras are sometimes bad in the US - the
Montreal tourney I attended last weekend, the refs were blatantly rigging
the matches for one team or another.  They and the "organizers" were a
pathetic joke.  IMNSHO

--- "Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> *Warning:  Rant mode ON
> Let me clarify what I mean by that last part.  There is one aspect of
> refereeing I do not understand and never will, yet know I am in a
> minority:  If its a penalty, call it - and be just as ready to call it
> with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd period as you were with 5 minutes gone
> in the first.  The concept of "letting the game be decided by the
> players" is utter nonsense.  What you are really saying is "let the game
> be decided by whichever team is able to get away with more illegal
> action."  There are rules in hockey.  Enforce them and you will have a
> more exciting game; sluff them off and you start to approach the NHL.

=====
                    \
    good shooting
    rhun