From:
"MacKinnon, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MacKinnon, John
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:42:17 -0500
If anyone wants an interesting read on the Athletic Department budget vs.
the University, "College Sports, Inc." by Murray Sperber.  He's the English
professor who took on Bob Knight at Indiana while serving on the Athletics
committee.

Sperber's definitely a sports fan, however explains much more in detail
about the "facilities" budget vs. Athletic budgets, shoe contracts and much
of the accounting shifts that occur depending on whether you want to show
"cash cow" athletics vs. "oh poor athletic department" ones.

Look at Maryland for some cutting edge stuff, too.  Like many schools, you
must buy season tickets for 3 sports to get your hoops tickets plus PSL's
for the new arena.  However, AD Debbie Yow even took out insurance contracts
for Ralph Friedgen's bonuses when they won the ACC tourney in the first
year.

Also remember, these bowl numbers hardly ever turn a profit because the
administration sends everyone to the game and must share the lion's share
with the conference -- unless you're ND.