Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:50:50 -0400
Friday, October 12, 2001

HUSKIES DEFEAT ST. LAWRENCE, 3-2, TO OPEN NCAA SCHEDULE
       Justin Brown Earns Superior Player of Game Award

Houghton, Mich. -- Michigan Tech used a 44-25 shots on goal advantage
on the way to a hard-fought 3-2 victory over Eastern College Athletic
Conference power St. Lawrence Friday (Oct. 12) night at the MacInnes
Student Ice Arena.

Michigan Tech jumped out to a 2-0 lead after the opening period with
a power play goal from Brett Engelhardt at 6:37 and an even strength
tally by senior Jaron Doetzel at 14:11 doing the damage.

The scrappy Saints fought back to even the game with a pair of goals
in the first 10:07 of the middle stanza, as Russ Bartlett scored just
:29 into the second and Charlie Daniels evened the game at 10:07.

However, senior Paul Cabana, who has led or tied for the team lead in
goals each of his first three seasons at Michigan Tech, came through
in the clutch as he scored the game-winner at 15:54 of the second.

"I like the way we played in the first period," said Tech Head Coach
Mike Sertich. "There were some stretches after that when we didn't
move our feet and that got us in trouble. The really great thing for
our kids and program is that we did win the hockey game, and against
a quality opponent."

Junior Brian Rogers picked up the win in goal with 23 saves, while
St. Lawrence's Kevin Ackley had 41 saves for the Saints.

Tech and St. Lawrence will conclude the two-game series Saturday
(Oct. 13) at 7:05 p.m.

--
Dave Fischer
Assistant Athletic Director/Communications & Marketing