From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1992 00:09:53 EST
As a couple of people have noted, TNT showed the whole USA-Germany game on
tape.  I was under the weather and out of work today so that's why I was able
to send the score and later on, the game came on TNT.  Both TNT and CBS have
a lot of commercials scheduled, but when TNT shows games delayed (which they
won't tell you), they can cut to commercials and not miss any action.  CBS
had a problem with the live Italy game.

Thursday, with USA-Finland scheduled to get underway at 2:15 EST (NOT 3:15),
I think CBS has held coverage of that back from TNT so they can show it on
delay at night.  Today, CBS's feature was the pairs long program, so they
wouldn't have had time for the Germany game; the guide I have says they are
featuring the Finland game Thurs night so it will probably not be on TNT.
CBS has control over what TNT shows, which is why TNT also did not show the
pairs even though it was taking place during the time they were on the air.

USA also plays Poland at 7:15 am EST Saturday.  CBS doesn't come on until
the afternoon, so it won't be shown live.  The final first round game vs
Sweden is Monday Feb 17 at 2:15 EST.

It was interesting to see Lane on TNT.  It almost seemed as if he was reading
cue cards for some of his comments and he didn't seem to be entirely
comfortable talking about Team USA.  It was clear that he is missing not being
able to play.

As far as the two USA wins go, I think they are very important.  They are
winning the games they should win - not doing this in 84 & 88 kept them out
of the medal round.  And they won two ways - vs Italy, by coming from behind
in the third, and vs Germany, by making a small lead stand up.  I still hope
they'll elevate their play against Finland, they'll have to if they are
going to win.  Finland's 14-2 goal differential is deceptive since it came
against two weak teams, but nonetheless they are a very good squad.

On the press coverage of the Games, I agree that it is discouraging to still
see too much emphasis on medals won or not won by the USA.  The Games are
exciting regardless of how many medals the US wins.  The pairs skating tonight
was simply outstanding and I found myself pulling for the Canadians and also
the Russians.  It was sad to see the two Russian pairs perform so well but
not have a real anthem or flag to honor them.  But this is getting off the
subject of hockey.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com