From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1992 01:48:38 EST
I sent this to the list because I'm sure it will come up again in the
future.  No hockey content.

The idea sounds good and all (I almost wanted to do it at Merrimack), BUT
I think it should be discussed with HOCKEY-L's owner, Wayne Smith
([log in to unmask]), before anything like this is done - at the very least
as a matter of courtesy.

There are potential problems.  I believe that as it stands, anyone can post
to H-L, but it's unlikely that we see a prolonged display of stupidity as
sometimes happens on newsgroups because 1) only people receiving mail from
H-L would be able to see it and cause such things to happen, and 2) Wayne
can head off something like this by turning off individual subscribers'
posting privileges.  I'm not sure that Wayne can do this if the list is
gated into a newsgroup.  That power would seem to have to be delegated to
the local sysadmin, and taking away some of Wayne's power (not that he is on
a power trip) would require some agreement on his part.  At least, I would
prefer that Wayne have veto power on it.  I trust Wayne to do the right thing.

If any discussion is held by email on this, Kenny, either between yourself
and Wayne or anyone else and Wayne/Kenny, I would be interested in following
what's going on, so please cc me if you can.  I don't think the list should be
used from here on to talk about this, but again anyone else considering
doing this should contact Wayne.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com