From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 23:11:56 -0500
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Mike Machnik is correct in his analysis, except that the second tie breaker
> after head-to-head competition is a team's record against HE opponents in
> descending in order, 1st seed through 4th seed. Assuming that UNH finishes
> first (I hope, I hope), fifth place for Merrimack and BU would be
> determined by their records vs. the Wildcats.  I believe that BU wins
> (1-1-1) over Merrimack (0-3-0).

Greg -- as Dave mentioned, 2nd tiebreaker is actually league wins.  Third
is record against teams in descending order.  (not sure what happens if it
comes to that and there are two ties that come down to this criteria)

> In today's media release from HE, they have BU locked into fifth since
> their record vs. Maine (1-2-0) is better than Merrimack's (0-3-0) just as
> it is vs. UNH.
>
> Greg Ambrose

The note in the HE release is an error -- I am told they know about it but
it went out too late to be corrected.  BU has not clinched 5th yet as I
outlined.  The HE web site has the playoff picture correct.