From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1992 14:56:38 EST
I think I heard something on the radio this morning saying that WEEI (590 AM)
in Boston would be carrying live play-by-play of the US Olympic Team's games
from Albertville.  This is good since not all of the games will be shown live
by CBS, and some of us need to work. :-) Here are USA's opening round games:

   Sun Feb 9  Italy     3:15 pm EST
   Tue Feb 11 Germany  11:15 am EST
   Thu Feb 13 Finland   3:15 pm EST
   Sat Feb 15 Poland    7:15 am EST
   Mon Feb 17 Sweden    3:15 pm EST

Check your local stations, this may be carried in various places throughout
the US.

I went to a Catholic high school and I remember sneaking a radio & earphones
into school back in 1984 to listen to the live broadcasts of the games from
Yugoslavia :-), as many started around 7 am EST.  The results were announced
over the school PA but I couldn't wait :-), and neither could the other
kids who huddled around to hear what they could.  I remember passing around
score updates every 15 minutes or so...

An article in yesterday's Lawrence Eagle-Tribune relates the story of how
1992 Olympian Steve Heinze (North Andover, MA) missed the 1980 win over the
USSR because he was at practice with the North Andover Mites in Danvers.
His coach was Jim Logue, 1968 US Olympic goalie in Grenoble, France.  Logue
had tickets to that Miracle game in Lake Placid but returned home instead
to coach his team.  Ironically, Logue ends up sending on a player of his own
to an Olympics in France too.  Logue was Merrimack goalie coach for several
years.

I signed a good luck card for Heinze Friday night at the Merr-PC game.  Just
like Heinze, everyone has their own Miracle story; I remember being 12 and
refusing to listen to the score of the game on the 6:00 news (it actually
was played at 5 pm EST).  ABC came on at 8 pm and Jim McKay said they were
going to show the entire game on delay, as it had already ended, but he wasn't
going to give the score ahead of time.  Or they may have given it and told
viewers to look away if they didn't want to know, I'm not sure.  At any rate,
I didn't want to know.  I sat and watched the whole thing, and the next day it
seemed as if 200 million hockey fans had been converted overnight.

- mike