From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 07:13:37 -0500
Greenie wrote:

> >Tournaments are notoriously difficult to get boxscores from. Either that, or
> >it's an HTML mistake.
>
> Ahhh, now there's a great excuse from a member of the media. It's always
> the fault of the tournament. I do see that the Gopher-Tiger box score is
> present on USCHO -- what is the attitude, if they don't fax it or email it,
> then USCHO won't bother trying to track it down?
>
> Thanks to Kirk Ahlberg, I was able to find both a recap and a box score on
> the Pioneer Planet website.

At USCHO, we do track down box scores all season long.  And that
involves more than finding
it somewhere else on the Internet.  The box score at the Pioneer Planet
website,
for example, would have done us no good since we need the full lineups
and so on
to be able to provide our array of statistics.  (You can't get whether
somebody
dressed for the game from the Pioneer Planet boxscore.)

And as Adam has already pointed out, tournaments pose extra problems for
when a box
score isn't available.  "Tracking down" a box score isn't just a matter
of hopping
on the phone or sending off an email.  Often, the same people you'd
contact during
the regular season simply aren't available.

Also, just because the game was at Mariucci, doesn't mean USCHO had
someone physically
there.  While there are Minnesota-based USCHO people, they all may have
been away for
the holidays.

As for the nonsense about bias against BU... exactly why should I, as
USCHO's Hockey
East writer, have such a bias and be pro Western teams?  I picked BU to
lose twice simply
because I thought it was the weakest of the teams in the tourney.  Yes,
the Terriers had
won five straight, but four of the five were against UMass-Amherst
(4-10-1) and
UMass-Lowell (6-9-0).  And in their last game, a 4-3 win over UML, they
won despite being
outshot 42-19.  Ohio State, their first round opponent, had won four
straight and only
lost once in the last nine games.  Its sweep of Notre Dame before the
break was much more
impressive than BU's of UMass-Lowell.  Hence, the OSU pick.

Dave Hendrickson
USCHO Hockey East writer