From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 19:36:14 -0500
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Many people (myself included) argue that the MDC rink masquerading
> as an arena at Merrimack College hurts recruiting.  OTOH, I kinda like being
> right on top of the players at Volpe Complex.  It's quaint, but bring warm
> clothes.

It's not so cold anymore, the offseason renovations included a new heating
system.

This is an interesting question, whether or not it hurts recruiting.  It
does seem to hurt them with regard to landing most top local players,
especially since those players often grow up playing there at one time or
another.  On the other hand, there have been a number of very good players
from outside the area who have gone through the program in recent years,
including Reggie Stringer and Kris Porter this year, and in past years,
Darrel Scoville, John Jakopin, Steve McKenna, Martin Laroche, Casey
Kesselring, etc.

Merrimack is getting some press around these parts for its recruiting class
for next season.  They have unofficially signed five players already and I
cannot recall more than two who ever signed early before this (and not in
the same year).  The Eagle-Tribune reported last Sunday that according to
an "unnamed" assistant at another Hockey East school, Merrimack's
recruiting class "rivals any in Hockey East".  Anthony Aquino of Bramalea
(OPJHL) supposedly turned down about a dozen other schools including
Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State to sign with Merrimack.  Alex
Sikachev is a Russian who spent some time with the Central Red Army and is
tearing up the EJHL after coming to the US in September.  There is also a
Finnish player, Hari Paramaci, who is playing at Northwood Prep, and I
believe Sikachev and Paramaci will be the first natives of Russia and
Finland to play at Merrimack.  Nick Cammarata is a highly sought after
defenseman from St Sebastian's, and Luke Smith from Thayer is a guy they
think can step in and make an impact right away.

The interesting thing about this is that it is the first time I can ever
remember so much press being given to Merrimack's recruits, as well as the
first time I recall them having a class that seems to be thought highly of
by other people.  Of course I am wary of all the ink and we will see what
happens.  But Chris Serino seems to think that he can land high quality
players even without having a new rink.  Serino didn't comment on the
recruits, so the Tribune had to go to other sources for its info.

Serino has also drawn a comparison to UNH...he says that just like at UNH,
they will have to win first to build momentum for a new building.  They
seem to be doing okay in that regard so far, being in the hunt for home ice
in Hockey East at this stage of the season, but the schedule will get
tougher in the second semester.

Still if the rink is that much of a factor, you would expect them to be a
league doormat.  But there have been a number of years in which they have
finished ahead of BC, Northeastern and UMass in the standings.  So how much
of a factor it is, is open for debate -- clearly it is somewhat of a
factor, but how much.

> FWIW, the big mystery is what Boston University's plans are.  There has been
> talk for years that they will convert the old National Guard Armory on
> Commonwealth Avenue to a new arena.  They outgrew Walter Brown Arena a
>long time
> ago, and need desperately to expand from 3,800 seats to 5,500.  Anything
>larger
> than that would be too big.

I've come to believe more and more that at least for some schools, a large
new rink may not be the way to go.  The rinks at UNH, BC, UMass and Lowell
are nice and have all the amenities, but as you say, I prefer being on top
of the action at the smaller rinks like Merrimack and BU.  If Merrimack
does build a new rink and I do think it will happen in the next few years,
I would not want to see a huge 6,000 seat facility.

Clarkson's Cheel Arena is the only ECAC rink I have not seen, but from what
I hear about it, that seems to be something more along the lines of what
Merrimack should build.  I.e. 3-4,000 seats, all the way around the ice
surface, where the fans are on top of the action.  If Merrimack does
continue to improve and draw better, we could see a return to the days when
the rink used to sell out and be an exciting place to play.  I would not
want to see them go from that to a sterile atmosphere like you have at some
of the larger buildings.  Although the crowd may have much to do with it --
there have been exciting games played at those larger buildings.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****          Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey WCCM 800 AM          *****