From:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1992 13:25:26 -0500
I understand why everyone thinks that throwing stuff on the ice is stupid,
and I tend to agree.  However, to give an example of throwing stuff on the
ice that has (1) become a tradition, and (2) been more or less condoned by
the home team and officials, consider the UNH Fish.  It comes out after UNH's
first goal, is thrown on the ice, and is promptly picked up by the rink
staff.  Half the time the guy with the shovel is out on the ice before the
fish is thrown.  I've never seen a referee even give UNH a warning for this,
because they know it's coming and they know that it won't happen again.

(Last Saturday things did get a bit out hand, however.  Instead of one fish,
four were thrown, and the officials did confer for a moment or two.  No
warning was given.)

Oh, no one gets kicked out for throwing hats on the ice either.  I really
think that any place that does that is taking things too far.  If people want
to lose their hats, more power to them.  Besides, when's the last time you
saw someone get hurt by a flying hat?

Chris
Go Blue!